Its that time of year and two storied franchises are back in the big game. This week we decided to take a look at the NFL teams and their followings on Facebook and Twitter and then take a deeper look into the Packer and Steelers online followings.
NFL: TEAM BY TEAM (FACEBOOK)
1. Leading the NFL in Facebook likes is this year’s Super Bowl hosts, the Dallas Cowboys with 2,199,639.
2. Leading the AFC in likes is the AFC Champion Pittsburgh Steelers with 1,714,512.
3. NFC Champion Green Bay is in 6th place with 919,456.
4. On average, an NFL team has 574,000 likes.
5. The worst performing team is the St. Louis Rams who have 1 follower for every 29 that Dallas has.
The top 10 on Facebook:
NFL: TEAM BY TEAM (TWITTER)
1. The Jets led the NFL with 101,879 Twitter followers.
2. The Cowboys led the NFC with 61,844 followers.
3. The Steelers were 4th with 57,596 followers and the Packers were 6th with 49,765.
4. The Chiefs find themselves at the bottom of this list with only one follower for every 49 the Jets have.
The top 10 on Twitter:
PACKERS VS STEELERS: BY TEAM
Next we decided to look a little deeper into Sunday’s match up of the Packers vs. the Steelers. To do this, we first compared the two teams on Facebook, Twitter and web traffic for the season (September – December). Here is what we found:
Facebook: Steelers topped the Packers 1,714,512 to 919,456 giving them an 83.66% advantage.
Twitter: Steelers topped the Packers 57,596 to 49,765 giving them a 15.74% advantage.
Web Traffic: Steelers topped the Packers 3.2 million to 2.6 million giving them a 23.99% advantage.
While the Steelers had a 41.13% advantage when looking at the above three platforms, things changed when looking at the individual players on each team on Twitter.
PACKERS VS STEELERS: BY PLAYER
Twitter is obviously something that has become very popular among many athletes and that is no different with the two teams that will be squaring off for the Lombardi trophy. Here is what we found about the players who are tweeting from Dallas this week:
1. The Packers have 28 players on their roster with a twitter account compared to 27 on the Steelers.
2. Total followers for Packer players is almost 796,000 compared to almost 387,000 for the Steelers.
3. Nick Barnett leads all players (and the Steeler team combined) with 387,830 followers. (He is on the IR though so maybe he shouldn’t be included….)
4. In the battler of the hair, Troy Polamalu leads Clay Matthews 134,318 to 97,020.
5. In the quarterback match up Aaron Rodgers has 117,138 followers while Big Ben has not yet jumped on the Twitter train.
We hope you enjoyed our online look at Super Bowl XLV. Click here to see the full reports and we will see you in Dalls.